Sunday, July 29, 2007

An Interim Euphoria

It is abominable in its every sense.

Very abominable. No. Terribly, at the most.

Thursday was a semi-hell day. Homeworks are still piled up in our bags, and everyone is being taunted by the urgency of the upcoming UPCAT, which unluckily would be on the fourth of August. But, I don't know. It was just a normal day for me, amidst that truckload of work I have to do at home. Way to go, CL scrapbook and Physics lab paper.

And then..

I texted Bianca, my seatmate, a mistake I was able to come across while analyzing the Bifocals experiment. I told her that the distance of the object should be 37cm, not 30. And so, she texted back, thanking me. But her message contained that ONE thing I never saw coming.

She said I passed Pauliworld. No, wait. She said, 'Congrats nga pala! Pumasa ka sa Pauliworld"

Of course, the first feeling I SHOULD have gotten was mere happiness. Um, hello? This is the biggest break I've gotten since The Holy Grail told me that he will enter me on a swimming competition. But like that swimming emulation, the first feeling I perceived was false pretense.

And GAH. It was really true after all. I really did pass the preliminary screening. And just like any other thing unrelated to math, I didn't take the test seriously. So you can just imagine my surprise when I found out the biggie news. Exaggeratively, I just gaped at a corner with my mouth slightly open. You can tell that I was, therefore, surprised.

The next day, I felt quasi-excited about me passing the school newspaper. But who knew that THAT happiness is just...for a short moment? Maybe I did, but I'm probably just so happy that I didn't let it out.

Yesterday was our college fair. I didn't know that yesterday was ALSO the day of the second screening. And, after my busmate(who's a member of the Pauliworld) had asked.."Ate, bakit di po kayo umattend sa second screening?", I felt that inner sadness somewhere in my flesh had swallowed my smile. I knew that in that very second, I failed to live up that chance of getting a very big break in my high school life.

So yeah, you can say that I'm the most stupid, idiotic, imbecilic, or whatever stupid adjective you can describe me, right now. I mean, how can I let a very big chance pass like that? It's probably understandable if it was all my pride's fault. But noooo. It was because my plain stupidity.

Goodbye Pauliworld. I never did enjoy the fame of passing your test anyway.

-----------------------------

I thought that school days are sucky enough to be called "Modern Day Dementors", but wait till you go through a college fair. It literally and metaphorically sucked the happiness from our bodies.

At first, I was excited about it. I mean, hello freebies! Brochures! Posters! The thought of carrying those things labeled with certain names of colleges/universities is very infatuating.

Going through to almost 30 colleges/universities with only thirty minutes of break(make that a lunch break) in between the morning and afternoon is probably the closest thing to hell. No, really. It was a wonder though, because all I did the whole day was to listen at the speakers of the varying schools, fill out information sheets, and stare at their brochures. Of all those institutions who came, the only one who caught my non-collegiate mind was Mapua. And that's it.

Mapua was very impressive. 98.99% of its graduates pass the board examinations for engineering. I was more than enthused. They may not be good in exercising the English language, but God. Look at that big percentile. I could be one of them in the near future. Or maybe, if I don't screw things up.

So, what? Goodbye to UP? I don't know. But that school is for quasi-smart asses. I think I wouldn't pass it for the world anyway. Or for ANY, for that matter.

-----------------------------

No comments: