Thursday, September 04, 2008

Coup de Grâce

So, yeah. The unexpected happened, and for some good reason, I'm not really all too giddy with it.

Long story short:

Yours truly made it to the Dean's List for this term. And I thought I will fail Algebra and mope all week long for my blockmates would be looking down at me like I'm a criminal or something.

Yeah sure, it's good. Getting in the friggin list in the first term of my first year in the University is a perennial sign that despite my futile efforts to slack everything off, I will still come out undefeated in the end, as if I studied my ass off for three merciless months. Don't get me wrong, though. I know I should be happy to be part of the list, but I just think that I don't deserve a slot, obviously because some people studied harder and sadly ended up out of the list. I don't have innate intelligence, mind you. So it all was just too surprising for me to bear.

Anyways, setting my weird grievance towards something one should be thankful for aside, I'm giving my commendations to all of those who made it to the Dean's List for this term. May we all make it yet again for the next semester. Not that I'm being optimistic for you guys or anything.

----------------

Monica and I visited our high school yesterday - again. I know, I know...it's juvenile in every sense. But the hell with juvenile. It was really really hot yesterday afternoon and boredom spanked our friggin asses. We grew tired of looking at people's multiply accounts and snooping at their social lives and consequently looking for pictures of gorgeous members of the opposite sex. I mean, wouldn't you? Well, Monica needs to have her dose of some manly fancy because she's complaining that there aren't any cute guys in UP, but I've already had enough of my fascination for handsome men because...well...I just see a lot of those every single day. Not that I'm complaining, or anything.

But I still prefer the rugged types, if you know what I mean.

We climbed up the slope inside the school, and already saw our former PE teacher. We said hi in the most cheerful way we can, and she just grinned. The hell with that grin. We soon wondered why is everybody looking so gloomy or something. Kinda weird, really.

So off we went to the canteen...yada yada. Turns out that the friggin canteen doesn't allow cash transactions anymore, which is really a bad thing. How in shit's name are we to buy our food? Ah, whatever. We just went to the senior's building to reminisce those good 'ol high school days. To my former batchmates: remember the square paths near the canteen? Well, it's gone now. They replaced it with a covered pathway instead. Screw that.

On our way to the main building, a former busmate recognized us. She was ecstatic as she tried to remember our names. For the record, she got Monica's name right, but my name has yet to be revealed in her world. And mind you, she's already a senior student. It irritated me a bit, of course. Still weirdly ecstatic, she asked our respective universities.
Monica: um, UP.
Girl: WOOOW. Ang galiing!! (turns to me) Ikaw ate?
Me: uh, La Salle.
Girl: ah.

Now THAT really made me burst into flames inside. If my parents didn't raise me in the right way, I could've confronted her right there and then. What is it with these kids and stereotyping? I wasn't like this when I was in high school. If I were, then I could've just applied for UP or Ateneo because those are the only schools people seem to accept nowadays. And I friggin hate it. I don't want to bash other universities but what is it with UP and Ateneo that my school doesn't have? La Sallle had already established its prestige in so many fields...in engineering, most especially...but why is it still being stereotyped as something so mediocre?

I obviously don't have the answers. All I know is it is so easy for one to be able to pass DLSU's entrance test, sure. But it's hard surviving the trimestral system and the fact that the subjects are so damn hard. I hope people would just stop being so judgmental.

To that girl:

Schools will no longer matter when you step into college. You may think that you're way way above the normal line because you're from a good high school. But let me tell you straight in your face that you're absolutely wrong. Your credibility will no longer rely on where you came from, but will instead focus on how you will be able to survive college life. I've got friends from varying universities and colleges in the metro and we don't give an ass on who's the better school or whatever immature stints you can think of. You better learn, or you won't live long.

No comments: