Monday, April 21, 2008

Age and Mythology

For some reason, I was doing a lot of thinking about my incoming 17th birthday last night. I don't really have an idea why, but it just hit me so hard like my brother's pressurized fart: age is the only possible thing you can physically defy. With how modern times have transformed cosmetic surgery into a mere normal activity, I have come to think of other ways that can help me fool people with my age. Oh wait. There's none.

I don't want to grow up.

---------------------------

I was watching Wowowee a while ago, God knows why. There was this question that was flashed on the screen, and consequently asked to the contestants. The question was asking if Diana is therefore the goddess of moon and the hunt. I blurted out yes, since we all know that Diana is just the Roman-ized version of Artemis, the original Greek goddess of the kind. And what do you know? I'm wrong. They claimed that Artemis is, really, the goddess of moon and the hunt. I was like, wtf? Confusing gameshows. I used to like such, though. Probably right before they turned out to be more irrational than they are claiming to be. Ludicrousness and unreasonableness don't really go together in the society. It's either you be funny and smart, or be so corny and dumb. Now that is justice.

Anyways, I'm reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology again. For unknown reasons, mythology just cannot detach itself from me. It's like I have to connect every little thing to some god/goddess and bore everyone with it. Just like last night.

Mom: Ay, tignan mo o! Bilog yung buwan! (Oh lookie at the full moon!)
Me: Ah oo. Alam nyo bang si Artemis ang goddess ng moon? Di nga lang moon eh, pati wild things kanya din! (Ah, yes. Did you know that Artemis is the goddess of the moon? She's also the goddess of wild things, actually.)
Mom: Huh?(I need not to translate that.)

I've only appreciated the Eight Brief Tales of Lovers after re-reading all of the stories of the characters there. Somehow, Baucis and Philemon's very very touching story of love kinda moved me, probably because it's the only story the doesn't seem oh-so supernatural. I liked Cupid and Psyche's, too. I mean, definitely, that thing's a classic already.

-----------------------------

No comments: