Monday, March 31, 2008

Sans Souci

RRRRIIIINGG goes your alarm clock. You grab it, then squint your eyes to find out where its hands are pointing; yep, it's 20 minutes until it's officially morning, more or less 5:40 AM. You slouch back and lay down again over your bed as you grab your blanket over your body, and try to relieve your mind from the fact that you'll be spending yet another splendid day (made by no less than GOD) in a place where your only source of happiness can be chosen from only two things: your grades, or your friends. You highly support the latter because as a status quo, students like you have this privilege to slack off, since it's your last year and well, slacking off is exorbitantly fun. That place, of course, is no paradise. Some call it hellhole, and some even call it hell itself already. You find these things amusing, because no self-respecting student would call high school a mere heaven.

You hear the startling footsteps of your mother, and as the sound of it gets louder and louder each second, you pray to God that she won't shout hysterically at you. As your door creaks, you brace yourself for the boom of her voice, waking your ass up completely. A second-no-two, maybe, passed by and the gush of the air coming from the air conditioner is all you can hear. You can feel your mom walking towards your bed as the door slowly creaks itself close. She sits herself on the corner of your bed and at doing so, she shakes your thighs nonchalantly. You know, what mothers would always do when they would wake their children up.

[To be cont'd...]

----------------------------------

Today I discovered the true beauty of Manila. Not Manila, as the capital of this fucking country per se, but you know...Manila maynila. At first, my only mission was to go to Hidalgo st. located in Quiapo, Manila to check out the varying prizes of Nikon D60, the camera I'm now planning to purchase as my graduation gift. It was expensive, yeah yeah yeah, but I know that 40 grand is enough to give justice to the four gruesome years I spent in St. Paul. There! I said it! You can set up ye old guillotine now and chop my big head off! I won't really mind.

I was standing in front of Mercury Drug (the one near the church and has a big screen above it) and watching people move from one place to another. It's probably some observant bullshit, hell I don't know. My eyes darted to my right, where passenger jeepneys are driving mad along the big road. I squinted my eyes to get a better view of where those things are going to, and apparently, they're all traveling to Dapitan.

And that's when that stupid light bulb incredulously lighted (well, yeah. That's the only thing a light bulb can do anyway) yet again. God, I hate it when that happens. I am forced to accomplish my own ideas by my own mind. It's just sad that my light bulb of ideas works only at the weirdest times, and never at the right times when you need it the most. Like when I'm brushing my teeth and all of a sudden, I want to burn my fingers or something. And yeah, it gets that absurd for most of the times. Not my fault, nuh-uh.

That time, the idea that sprung inside my imbecile brain was to explore the whole city by myself. I mean, yeah, right? Why the hell not? I have a thousand bucks in my wallet, and God knows I don't have to do anything at home anyway except to laze around and make my ass bigger by sitting on it all day long, which is by anyone's standards, not good.

To cut it all short, I explored the whole city on my own and - get this - without even getting hold-up'd or something as bad as it is. I've never felt so free in my whole life. I wish people can appreciate the beauty hiding beneath its layers of dirt and crime.

(And since when did I appreciate places?)

No comments: