Friday, August 01, 2008

Anecdote Whatever

If useless anecdotes can be sold for probably fifty-pesos each, I'd be really really rich by now. I mean, I don't really get it why I keep having very unusual experiences ever since I entered the University. I don't even know if these anecdotes even serve as something more than things I can share to people I know. Or don't know. Or whatever. The point is, I don't mind being so anecdotal and all, just as long as -

Wait.

Why am I even complaining that I'm having so many anecdotes? I should be thankful, for Christ's sake. Anecdotes are things that should be shared, and therefore I am sharing mine now.

Anecdote #1

It was then a gloomy Thursday morning when I walked hastily to the platform of the last part of the LRT. I can see the train coming from afar, and I positioned myself in that spot where the doors would usually open to let the passengers get in. I was looking at the rusted tracks when suddenly heard a radio-ey voice so near me. I looked behind, and there was this old man with his radio transistor of some sort, wearing an LRT shirt that says nothing more than what it's standing for. He looked at me, and smiled. I forced a human smile and quickly turned my back to him. I got so creeped out that I climbed in the train too quickly but ended up having to stand on the other side of the train, where the doors wouldn't usually open. I faced to my right and there he was again, that old man with his transistor. As the train started to move, I heard someone mumbling something like 'lasalyanong inhinyero', two words that are printed in the upper left side of my ENG shirt I just recieved the day before. And guess who just read it. Yes, it's the friggin old man with his friggin transistor. He approached me and started talking about his kid studying in the University who's recieving honors and stuff. He even had the nerve to ask me if I was really a Filipina, because he's having second thoughts about my citizenship.

I don't really think that his stories are weird. What IS weird is that a stranger just came up to me to talk. Let me assure you that I'm no gullible shithole, nor I look like one.


Anecdote #2

After forcing and stashing five application forms in my bag, I hurried down to the Velasco gate to walk my way to the North gate and consequently exit and go up to the Vito Cruz LRT station near KFC. I was walking normally, ignoring the heavy burden my backpack is putting on my shoulders. I was climbing down the small steps near the conservatory, when I suddenly tripped BIG TIME. Everyone who was also walking there was so surprised. I mean, even I was enormously startled by my own blooper. How could a huge college kid trip so easily? I ended up spraining my ankle, and consequently limping the poor left foot to school for the next three days.

Anecdote #3

Ever since school started, I keep seeing this cute guy in all the train stations I have to board at. Even in the Ortigas Station, where I would drop off during Wednesdays and those days when Mom's in Megamall, hitting the gym with her friends. So one fateful morning at the platform of the EDSA station, he came up beside me and waited for the train - our train to pass by. Since it was so early then, I let the first train pass by because it's one of those primitive types that I loathe because they're so..well..old. Well I thought that Mr. Cute Guy right there would board the train, but my anticipation just died when he also just stared at the throng pushing each other just to get in the train. I raised my eyebrow in confusion and moved to the farther part of the platform. Surprsingly, he walked slowly and casually to the same position I just chose. Because he's a cute guy, I never suspected him of being a criminal, lurking in the early yawns of the morning at train stations. After the first train departed and I heaved a sigh of impatience, he uttered a 'Hi' to whomever. I didn't really think it was me, because that would be so friggin surreal. Who the hell would even have the heart to greet a humongous pile of saturated fat anyways? So, yeah.

I boarded the next train and well of course, he did the same. As I waited for the train to arrive at Vito Cruz, I tried my best to not look around the train and search for him because for sure, I would be freaked out. As the train stopped at the Vito Cruz station, I jumped out of the wagon and strolled my way to the turnstiles. I climbed down the dirty stairs slowly, so as to see if cute-turned-creepy guy is still with me. I was the last person to get off the steps and I didn't see any clue of him, which is creepy times a hundred, if you ask me. I got in the pedicab and in minutes' time, I finally arrived at our building. I scanned my ID on the scanners nailed on the turnstiles, and walked hastily to the elevators. Since there aren't a lot of students during that morning, I was lucky enough to have the elevator for myself. Or so I thought it was.

I was about to hit the close button when a hand suddenly gripped on the doors. It was..the cute guy.

I've never been so creeped out in my whole crappy life.

No comments: