Friday, August 08, 2008

Westlife is from Yuruf

I was watching the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics in a local channel that seems to lack funds because of the incessant commercial breaks they have to put in between the notable happenings of the said event a while ago. I loved the percussion part, if you'd like to know. I wonder where they'll dump all those ancient-looking drums..

Yeah well anyways, come commercial time, I was flipping through channels when I suddenly stopped at a local music station because, well, the video that was then showing is that of Westlife's I Have A Dream. I don't know what happened - probably some kind of a flashback thing, like Raven does in her hit tv show That's So Raven, only the thing I'm seeing is the past, and not the future. The song instantly reminded me of my childhood days, you know, back when I was still normal and much much more immature than any other kid around the neighborhood. Back in those days, there were only two bands that existed in my dad's discman that I begged to have and consequently had: Westlife, and A1.

Now don't get me wrong or anything about all of this bullcrap. To clear things up, I liked them because of the fact that their songs are so darn catchy, I can memorize one in three hours. It's kinda surprising that their looks are not the ones that caught my attention. My eyes feasted on these adorable Irish boys who sing like falllen cherubs for quite some time for sure, but I really fell in love with the tune, rhythym, melody, and other musical whatevers you can think of. Being an 8-year old and all back then, I didn't care about the meaning and the words. I mean, just as long as my ears like it, I'll surely take some time to hear it.

So, after nine years, I reviewed the lyrics of their popular songs I really liked. And surely enough, I was surprised by my dumbness nine friggin years ago. How can I not realize that the lyrics are just so...so..good? They may suck (a lot, for that matter) now, but who the hell fucking cares? What people don't reap from this all is the evident fact that these boy bands that are facing major extinction are definitely more than their angelic faces and cheap dance interpretations of their own songs; they have meaningful - no, make that heart-melting - songs to go with the whole package. It's just so fascist of some of us to look more on their, well..faces, rather than the message of their voices. Damn it, why do ALL boy bands have to have overly-gorgeous boys anyway? So that people will support them? Oh for the love of God I hate this discriminating and very weird world.

-----------------

For the nth time, I lifted my empty wrist to find out that it is indeed empty for I lost my precious watch again. I then resorted to my phone to check the time - 11:04, and I was still on the platforms of the Shaw Boulevard MRT station, waiting for the fucking train to arrive already. I had to come to school a while ago because of the trigonometry makeup classes scheduled at 11:20. As the train arrived, I hastily went inside and grabbed the nearest pole as the machine started to growl and move.

Boni Avenue Station, Boni Avenue Station. Please allow the elderly and the women and the children to sit. Mangyari po lamang na paupuin natin ang mga nakakatanda, and mga babae, at mga bata. Maraming Salamat Po. Next station, Guadalupe Station.

Guadalupe Station, Guadalupe Station. God knows what the female announcer said. A foreigner who looked as if he was harassed by a pack of wolves just came in..in the female section of the train. Just seriously right beside me. He could've had composed and placed himself somewhere else for the train was almost empty, but he just have to be beside me.

So yeah the train began to move towards Buendia, when he suddenly asked, in a very confused voice, if the part of the train where he was currently in is for women. He asked ME. I opened my mouth to answer him when some lady butted in, which surprised us both. The lady, speaking in her best flirty english ever, interviewed the foreigner and further asked his country of origin.
Foreigner: Guess..It's in America..that's a clue for ya
Lady: Um..Yuruf? (By which I'm guessing is her word for Europe)
Foreigner: Uh, what?

I snorted so loudly that both of them instantly looked at me. It's a good thing my phlegm-infested lungs are always in the mood to cough, so I just followed my snort with a phlegmy boom of my mouth and throat.


God, please stop giving me useless experiences.

No comments: