Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Quit or Stay

Well you've probably guessed the evident trend already: I'm blabbing too much about college. I mean, it's hard to not do so anyway. With the new environment and new people around me, the last thing I could do is to keep my freaking big mouth shut anyway. If I could just tell you about my everyday experiences and discovered wonders as a freshman, I really would. But doing so would really be so juvenile and stuff. And people would think I'm home-schooled or something.

College is no different from high school anyway. I mean, sure the independence thing is the most evident thing you can point out between the two. But the quirks and perks of high school is still there, only more mature and less religious. I for one wasn't really culture-shocked about how things are simply going around me. I don't know if it's because of the apathy thing I'm very famous for, but really, it's like high school all over again, just with a helluva lot of boys and no more religious advocates forcing us all to move to some chapel and attend the mass. I hate reminiscing, but when you're somewhere new (and very very far, for that matter), your mind just kinda drifts off to the past that was just barely four months ago, and compare it to your life right now.

Everytime I get in the train every morning and as my hand grips tightly on the nearest metal pole, visual images of my mother driving our car at the C5 road would always (and I so mean always) appear all of a sudden. My mom would drive me and my sister to school every morning back in high school. When we would leave the house at a lavishly and ungodly time, mom would treat us with a drive-through shindig at a fastfood restaurant. And my God, did my classmates envy me, or what? While they would review for something, I would meticulously set my food on my table and munch on it quietly. And boy, they sure didn't like it.

And now, I go to school alone, with some sleepy old man driving the train, and a sea of strangers trying to drown me with their same old stinky armpits and dripping sweat, fresh from a milliion or two gargantuan pores all over their body. And unless the operator of the train is bazillion times crazier than Bush Jr., and/or he truly loves me like hell, he will not stop the train in a nearby fastfood restaurant if we're too freaking early, much more drive the whole train through it. Instead of using the old look-at-me mechanism by buying food and eating it in the classroom, I would just buy a newspaper and (duh) read it, because there's nothing much to do in an early morning. My blockmates wouldn't envy me, of course. I mean, who the hell would envy a fat kid with an el-cheapo newspaper at hand anyway? And boy, they sure don't care.

And everytime I do the whole commuting process again when I have to go back home, I couldn't help asking myself if I can do this tedious bullshit for four years. Every step I take as I climb those stupiid ladders that are so endless at the stations, a point goes to the option 'oh quit this, there are a bunch of dorms out there. stop being a quasi-martyr and make yourself comfortable, for Christ's sake'. So far, it's leading by a billion points against the option 'stay, you're doing this for your humongous thighs..oh, and for your education as well.'


------------------------------

No comments: